JOIN US AS A MEMBER
What awaits you:
- A network of talented members and potential co-founders
- Direct encounters and insights into the most successful startups in Germany
- Contacts to investors, mentors, startups, speakers and industry experts
- Access to our international START Network with partner chapters such as START St. Gallen, START Barcelona or START Berlin
- An extensive network of partners and alumni to provide you with the right contact for any startup topic
- You are in university or doing an apprenticeship
- You are eager to start or have already started a company
- You want to get in contact with prospective co-founders
- You commit to being an active member of our community
- New: You commit to joining one of our squads for at least your 1st semester (exceptions apply - see our FAQ)
The application phase for the summer semester is closed. Click on the button below to get notified when the application phase for the next winter semester begins.
Any questions? Have a look at our FAQ.
Application Phase is CLOSEDGET Notified
1. Where do I get more information about START?
You can find all about START in our handbook here: Handbook.
2. What squads do you have?
Currently, the following squads are active:
Communitizers, Elighteners, Diversity Leaders, Networkers, Accelerators, Personal Developers, Summiteers, Creators, Digitizers, Business Leaders, Alumni & Podcasters.
Have a look in the Handbook for more information. You will also get more information in the Onboarding event
3. Is there any membership fee?
Yes, our membership fee is 20€ per semester.
4. How many members do you have?
More than 200 active members and plenty of alumni.
5. How many events do you have per semester?
Next semester we have more than 16 major events and 18 minor events. But there is always the possibility to meet fellow Starties for a coffee.
6. I haven’t found an idea of what to start yet, is this a problem?
Not at all! We know it is hard to come up with the right idea on which you are passionate about making it real. We just expect an entrepreneurial spirit and want to see ambitions to found a startup at some point.
7. What questions do I have to answer in the application?
a) How would you describe yourself if you met an investor on an elevator? (Elevator pitch to make long lasting impression!) (max. 300 characters)
b) What does entrepreneurship mean to you? Why do you want to be an entrepreneur? (max. 1250 characters)
c) Tell us about a side project / hustle you have done and you are passionate about. (max. 1000 characters)
d) What complementary skills would you look for in your co-founder? (max. 200 characters)
e) What do you want to have achieved by the end of your studies (apart from your university degree)? (max. 700 characters)
f) If you were to start your own startup, what field would you work in? (max. 200 characters)
g) What is it about START Munich that makes it a good fit for you? (max. 800 characters)
h) What are top (soft & hard) skills you get complimented for by your colleagues / friends? (max. 300 characters)
8. Is it mandatory to join the events or be active in a squad?
Yes, we all just benefit from START Munich if everybody is active. That is why it is mandatory to join a squad in the first semester and we expect you to visit as many events as possible. It is a win-win situation if every member of START is active. Of course, there are some exceptions, e.g. if you are in the middle of founding a startup.
9. My German is not good, is that a problem?
We are a diverse club with members from all over the world. That is why our main language is English. But we are always happy to help you to improve your German skills :)
10. What does the application process look like?
The current process of recruiting is simple with 2 steps. The first step of the recruiting is the written application phase, where each candidate has to fill out a set of questions on Google form.After initial screening of written applications, the selected candidates move on for a face-to-face interview with START members. This year we may have our face-to-face interviews in-person (since we are already excited to meet our future STARTie, we will also have some goodies), so please make sure to be available for in-person interview in Munich.After the final round of interviews, the candidates who make the cut, are invited to join our community (as simple as that). Please do make sure to check your spam folder, just in case you didn't hear back from us.
Important Dates for You:
Written Applications Phase: Friday, 15.04.2022 - Sunday, 08.05.2022
Written Application Response: Friday, 13.05.2022
Interview Phase: Monday, 16.05.2022 - Sunday, 22.05.2022
Final Candidate Selection: Monday, 23.05.2022 - Wednesday, 25.05.2022
Final Selection Response: Wednesday, 25.05.2022
Onboarding Event: Saturday, 28.05.2022 (More details to follow)
11. What are the admissions criteria?
We have 5 categories that are important to us:
a) Engagement and Commitment to Entrepreneurship
b) Motivation for Entrepreneurship
c) Entrepreneurial Character, Skills and Knowledge
d) Engagement and Commitment to START
e) START Fit
12. What kind of study do I have to do to join START Munich?
Any kind of study is right to join START Munich!
13. How much time do I have to spend for START Munich?
This depends on how much you can commit. But as mentioned above we expect you to be an active member. An average STARTie spends 2-5 hours per week on START related topics.
Any questions unanswered? We are happy to answer them! Just contact us via HR@startmunich.de.